Friday, August 3, 2012

Daddy, can I have some money?

These days, having cash is a sign of criminality. If you are carrying a lot of cash, it means you are a criminal. Unless, of course, you operate a towing company in Miami Beach, which basically only takes cash.

I suppose there are several advantages to this, one or two which benefit us, the consumer. By and large, the advantages benefit banks, retailers and taxation authorities.

The real problem is the outrageous fees charged when you attempt to get your hands on some cash. You either go to your own bank - God forbid you bank with a small institution - or you are in for a nasty surprise.

Places like Walgreens offer US$20.00 cash without fees. I think Publix does too. The rest, well, the rest. They ask you whether you want cash, you might be stupid enough to say yes, then you pay $2.00 or more to get a mere US$20.00! You just paid 10 % interest on your own hard earned money!  What a concept!

Additionally, you might have a ton of money in the bank, but they determine how much you can spent. Yes, siree! I have to ask big daddy to spend my own money - which, by the way, they charge a fee to retain (unless you have US$75,000.00), while making money on top of it. I cannot withdraw more than $500, and can only spend US$3,000 on my debit card per day.

In other words, I cannot go crazy with my money. BUT IT IS MY MONEY! If I want to go crazy with it, I should be allowed to! However, I have to ask big daddy to spend my cash.

I suppose that as long as I can withdraw US$500, and Beach Towing and Tremont Towing do not raise their already outrageous fees to release MY car, then I will be OK...

Still beats being arrested for carrying suspicious cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment